Are Orchids Poisonous To Dogs? (Phalaenopsis & Cypripedioideae Subfamily)

Moth orchid - Phalaenopsis
Which type of orchids are safe for dogs

The orchid has a large extended family. This article will look at the most common orchid varieties often sold at supermarkets called the Phalaenopsis. We will also look at another orchid variety called the Cypripedioideae subfamily. Please read carefully the below! 

Phalaenopsis variety of orchids are non-toxic to dogs and safe for dog owners to plant in their garden or have in their home without worrying about poisoning your pet. However, the Cypripedioideae subfamily of orchids known as the lady’s slipper orchid is toxic to dogs and can cause stomach upset and cause skin irritation in your pet!

Moth Orchid (Phalaenopsis) – Non-Toxic

Moth orchids, or Phalaenopsis, are widely found in garden centres and supermarkets. The common phalaenopsis variety is considered safe. But it is important to note that some dogs may still chew the plant excessively, leading them to become sick regardless of the plant’s non-toxicity. 

Moth orchid - Phalaenopsis on a white background, close up image
Moth orchid – Phalaenopsis

Cypripedioideae – Toxic

However, other sets of rare orchids called Cypripedioideae subfamily of the orchidsknown as the lady’s slipper orchidslady slipper orchids, or slipper orchids, are toxic to dogs and can cause stomach upset and skin irritation for your dog.

Please check the label before planting or bringing any orchids home with you if your a pet owner. You may even think it’s not worth the risk to have any orchids of any kind in a house with pets.

Are lady slipper orchids poisonous to dogs?

Yes, lady slipper orchids are mildly toxic to dogs. If touched or ingested can cause irritation or an upset stomach in dogs.

lady slipper orchid, yellow on a white background
lady slipper orchid

Tip: Avoid any orchids that have the name lady or slipper in. 

Why do dogs eat orchids?

Dogs enjoy the taste of orchids and because it’s fun. Puppies, when they are teething, often look for objects that they can chew on. It’s also believed that eating some plants aids a health benefit to a dog and helps eliminate parasites from their intestines.

Is your dog an excessive chewer?

Some dogs will often chew on reckless things such as plants, which could cause stomach upset if the items consumed are quick and in high quantities. It would be best if your dog is an excessive chewer to think about planting orchids in a dog-free area of your garden or out of reach on a higher table or side unit within your home.

Should dogs know not to eat plants?

Yes, dogs should know better than eating a poisonous plant. They use their sense of smell to tell if something is toxic. However, not all dogs have this skill, especially puppies, and some will still eat plants from your garden even when they know better. But, at least with Phalaenopsis orchids, you don’t need to worry about your dog eating a couple now and then, as they are not poisonous to dogs in moderation. However, the Cypripedioideae subfamily of the orchids are toxic and should be kept out of reach of dogs.

Dog-Friendly Flowers

Conclusion 

Many orchids are not poisonous, and the common phalaenopsis variety of orchid has explicitly been mentioned as safe. However, even though the orchid is a large family of flowers, not all types have been researched for their effects on dogs. In addition, varieties, like the lady slipper orchid, are undoubtedly toxic. Therefore, it just may be a good idea to keep all orchids out of reach of your pets if you don’t know the difference between them.

About the Author

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.