Christmas cake is so yummy, and it’s the perfect way to celebrate this time of year. However,  I make sure that I do not eat the cake near my dog. It’s essential to keep the Christmas cake away from the dog, as explained below. 

Dogs must not eat Christmas cake because it contains highly toxic ingredients for a dog, such as raisins, alcohol, sugar and spices. These ingredients all pose a high risk to your dog’s health, such as diabetes, kidney failure, and depression of the central nervous system.

About Christmas Cake

The traditional sixteenth-century English Christmas cake is one of the most famous and well-loved cakes around this festive period. It’s a moist, spicy treat that has been enjoyed for centuries, mainly made with the fruit soaked in brandy or alcohols like rum or whiskey! Then covered with marzipan, icing and decorated with a Christmas theme.

Why Is Christmas Cake So Toxic To Dogs

The ingredients make the cake toxic to dogs, as it’s made with raisins, alcohol, sugar and spices, which is all toxic to a dog and can do serious harm to a dogs health.

Can a dog recover from eating Christmas cake?

Depending on how much your dog has eaten, they can recover, but only if treated in time. However, sadly if not treated early, a dog can die. That is why it’s so important to get your dog to the professionals as soon as possible if you think they have eaten something they shouldn’t of. 

Although a few crumbs or a tiny piece won’t hurt a large-sized dog, a smaller sized dog, on the other hand, can. This would be a time to worry and not delay taking them to the vets as soon as possible. 

Help My Dogs Eaten Christmas Cake

If your dog eats a slice of Christmas cake, do not panic. It depends on how much they have eaten. If it is just one time and not that much, your dog will be okay! The best thing to do is watch your dog closely, offer some water, and don’t give them anything else to eat for a few hours after. 

Your dog might vomit or have diarrhoea because that is the body’s way of getting rid of bad things. If left untreated, it can be fatal to your dog, and you must see the vet right away! If your dog has these symptoms for a long time without a break, this can be a severe issue to their health.

If in doubt, always call your veterinarian!

What will a vet do?

A veterinarian will check your dog’s vitals. If they think your dog needs help with hydration, the vet could give them a drip. Sometimes induced vomiting is necessary to get rid of toxic substances quicker. But it all depends on the vet and what they think about the case. You must always take your dog to the vet if you believe they have eaten a good size of something that could be bad for them.

Getting help for your dog in good time is very important when dealing with large amounts of toxic ingredients such as alcohol, spices, raisins and sultanas.

Recommended Read: Warning about scones and dogs?

Symptoms of Toxicity – Christmas Cake

  • Abdominal pain
  • Diarrhoea
  • Dry mouth
  • Dry nose
  • Heavy panting
  • Increased thirst
  • Increased urine
  • Lethargic
  • Light coloured gums
  • Loss of appetite
  • Loss of balance
  • No urine production
  • Pale mouth
  • Stillness
  • Trouble breathing
  • Vomiting
  • Weakness

How Much Is Too Much

If you have a chihuahua and have eaten a slice of Christmas cake, call the vet. If you have a larger dog such as a labrador, or a dalmatian, they will probably be fine. But if your dog is old or not healthy, it might be best to take them to the vet no matter what their size is.

If in doubt, always call your veterinarian!

What happens if a dog eats marzipan?

If your dog has eaten some marzipan, your dog may start to have some diarrhoea. The diarrhoea should pass; however, if it doesn’t, then you will need to take your dog to the vet. Dogs shouldn’t be given marzipan even as a treat. There are no health benefits to a dog, and over time they can gain weight and develop diabetes due to the sugar contents. 

Always keep marzipan out of your dogs reach! 

What happens if a dog eats icing?

If your dog ate a little bit of icing by mistake, it shouldn’t cause too many health problems. However, depending on the amount consumed, your dog may have some diarrhoea. There are no health benefits in giving your dog icing, and over time they can gain weight and develop diabetes due to the sugar contents. Depending on how much your dog has eaten, you may still need to call a veterinarian.

Always keep icing out of reach from your dog! 


Dogs should not eat Christmas cake, and if they have eaten some, you may need to take them to the vet. If your dog is an of the small breeds, you need to get them to the vet straight away and not delay. Larger breeds can handle slightly more ingredients due to being able to distribute the toxins more. However, if symptoms persist or get worse, you should contact the vets as soon as possible! 

Good Luck!

Join Dog Friendly Scene for FREE to receive incredible dog facts and fun activities in your inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Join Dog Friendly Scene for FREE to receive incredible dog facts and fun activities in your inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Sharing is a good thing to do!