Can Dogs Eat Grapes? (Toxicity Symptoms)

Black and green grapes in a basket
Can dogs eat grapes?

We all know what dogs can be like, giving you those puppy dog eyes whilst you sit and enjoy a bunch of grapes or any other food for that instance that you are enjoying. Let us admit that we as humans love grapes, whether they be with a nice cheese board or on their own as a snack. Grapes come in several different colours like green, red, black, yellow, pink, and purple and various forms like seeds, seedless, dried and juiced. Grapes are used in winemaking and enjoyed all over the world. They are packed with nutrients and rich in vitamin C and K that benefit humans. There are thousands of different types of grapes; one of my favourites is the cotton candy variety. Grapes are classed as one of our five a day portions of fruit. But what about our dogs? Can they eat grapes? and if not, why not? Let’s find out.

Dogs should not eat grapes in fact they are highly toxic to dogs. When consumed, grapes can be detrimental to your dog’s health. When it comes to dogs, all forms of grapes should be avoided like grape juice, seedless grapes and dried grapes called raisins.

What happens when a dog eats grapes?

When dogs consume grapes depending on the amount and the size of your dog, it could lead to acute kidney failure.

What should I do my dog just ate some grapes?

If your dog has consumed grapes, you need to keep a close eye on him or her to check for any possible toxic symptoms.

Can dogs eat raisins?

No, dogs can not eat raisins; this is because they are highly toxic to dogs. When consumed, raisins can be detrimental to your dog’s health and cause possible acute kidney failure.

Raisins on a white background
Can dogs eat raisins?

Can dogs drink grape juice?

No, dogs can not drink grape juice. Grape juice is highly toxic to dogs. Grape Juice can be detrimental to your dog’s health and can cause possible acute kidney failure when consumed.

Fresh Grape Juice in a jug with bunches of grapes around it
Can dogs drink grape juice?

Possible signs of grape, raisin and grape juice toxicity

Just one or two grapes can cause the below symptoms in dogs:

  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargic
  • Weakness
  • Stillness
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Abdominal pain
  • Increased thirst
  • Increased urine
  • No urine production
  • Dry nose
  • Dry mouth
  • Pale mouth
  • Light coloured gums
  • Heavy panting
  • Trouble breathing

If your concerned about your dog’s health and think he or she has eaten grapes, you must call a veterinary professional. The time now needs to be on your side, to be able to assist your dog to the best possible care dont delay in contacting your vet. Sudden kidney failure can happen in a concise space of time.

You must be able to understand your dog’s character to diagnose possible grape toxicity. If you are unsure, please seek professional help immediately.

Warning – Keep grapes away from dogs.

We all love a nice big bowl of fruit, be it on a kitchen counter side or a dining room table. Please be aware your dog won’t hesitate to try to grab a grape of two. So, keep the bowl away from possible grape snatchers. I would never forgive my self if my dog can access to grapes, especially since even just one grape can be fatal to a dog.

Are all dogs affected?

Yes, however, some dogs may suffer more severe reactions than others. It doesn’t matter what breed you have or overall health of your dog how they will be affected.

Are grapes likely to kill my dog?

There is a strong possibility that yes, grapes in all forms, such as raisins, grapes with seeds, seedless grapes, and grape juice can kill your dog. You must seek professional help immediately if you notice any of the above signs. It can cause sudden kidney failure.

A 3-year-old male Maltese dog, read the report here, sadly died of acute renal failure after Ingestion of grapes. Symptoms of vomiting and stopped urination started showing five hours after he consumed some seedless grapes. It’s very important to keep grapes and raisins out of the reach of dogs. You must contact a veterinarian if you think your dog has consumed grapes of any form. 

Conclusion

We now know that grapes are highly toxic to dogs, in the form of juiced, dried, with or without seeds. It would be best if you never gave your dog grapes and always make sure they are out of harm’s way. Who would have thought a tiny grape or raisin could cause so much damage. Thanks for reading and researching and taken on board the critical advice.

About the Author