Raspberries aren’t too familiar in dog food, making us wonder even more about potential side effects before feeding any amount! Here are some guidelines on how much and what symptoms to look out for if they have overindulged.
Dogs can safely eat raspberries in moderation. Raspberries are a great source of essential nutrients for keeping a dog healthy, such as vitamins A, C, E, and fibre.
Health Benefits of Raspberries
The benefits of raspberries include being antioxidant-rich and having lower calories than other fruits making them the perfect option for adding something sweet but still nutritious to their diets!
Raspberries are also known to protect against diabetes, cancer, obesity, and arthritis.
You should only provide your dog with raspberries as a treat once a week. A medium-sized dog such as a Jack Russell should have two to three berries maximum. If your dog is a smaller breed like a Chihuahua, you should only provide them with one.
|Size of Dog||Amount||Frequency|
|Large||Six||Once a week|
|Medium||Three||Once a week|
|Small||One||Once a week|
Before serving raspberries to your dog, you must wash them and make sure they have not been spoiled. Raspberries can stain clothing and furnishings, so be careful, unlike me. I gave my dog raspberries on the rug. Don’t make that mistake!
What happens if my dog eats too many raspberries?
If your dog does consume too many raspberries, it may show gastrointestinal upsets and vomiting. If you think that your dog has eaten an excessive amount of these berries, call your vet immediately for help! Vomiting is one of the more severe side effects because it can lead to dehydration in dogs if not addressed quickly enough by a veterinarian.
- Gastrointestinal upsets
If your dog shows severe symptoms, you must speak to a veterinarian, leading to dehydration in dogs.
Xylitol in large portions is highly toxic to dogs. However, if you serve the correct portion size, xylitol will not trouble your dog as there is only a tiny amount in each.
Symptoms of xylitol poisoning in a dog
- A sudden drop in blood sugar levels
- Decreased activity
You must contact your vets immediately if you suspect they may be suffering from xylitol poisoning.
How much is too many raspberries for a dog
As the above table states, depending on your dog size, you should only offer one to six raspberries. Your dog would need to consume a lot of raspberries. For instance, there are 0.05 grams of xylitol in one cup of raspberries. A 20 lb dog would need to consume about 2-4 grams of xylitol. This amount will cause low blood sugar in the canine and nearly 16 grams of xylitol for it to be fatal.
Do all dogs like raspberries?
Not all dogs like raspberries; however, you will soon find out if it’s a hit or a miss by trying them with a raspberry.
Can dogs eat frozen raspberries?
Yes, dogs can safely be treated with frozen raspberries. Perfect for a hot summer’s day. Raspberries are a great source of nutrients for dogs. However, they do have a small amount of xylitol, a natural sweetener that can be toxic if overeaten.
Can Dogs Eat Canned Raspberries?
Don’t give your dog canned raspberries. You should only provide your dog with fresh, unspoiled raspberries. Canned fruit often comes with added preservatives that can be toxic to your des.
While raspberries are safe for dogs to eat, not all berries are. Here are some types of berries that you should avoid at all costs and never offer to your dog.
As we all know, the cherry is a delicious fruit that humans can consume in many different ways. But don’t let your canine friend get near them because cherries are not safe for dogs! The stem and leaves of this red-skinned treat contain cyanide, leading to severe illness if ingested.
You may be tempted to feed your dog some grapes, but you should know that they can cause acute kidney failure. After just one grape, dogs are at risk of developing serious problems.
Even though raspberries are one of the healthy treat options for your dog, you should keep in mind that moderation is vital. While they offer some nutritional benefits to our pet dogs, these berries also create stomach problems when eaten in excess quantities.