We all want to treat our dogs to something new; however, the choices you make can genuinely impact your dog’s health and not to mention your bank balance. After all, our beloved dogs are trusting us to make the right decisions for them. If you love your dog, then researching it first is the best thing to do as a dog owner. There is no manual in bringing up dogs, and it’s generally what you can learn along the way and advice you can get from other dogs owners that helps. So, let’s find out.
Dogs should not eat liquorice because it is toxic to their health. Liquorice contains no nutritional value and can cause diabetes, tooth decay, obesity in dogs!
Why can’t dogs eat liquorice?
Dog’s can not eat liquorice (black). It’s high in sugar that can cause tooth decay, diabetes, and obesity due to the high levels of sugar that it contains. It can also cause water retention, sodium retention and reduced potassium in your dog. However, it’s not just the amount of sugar that is extremely unhealthy for your dog but also the main ingredient called glycyrrhizin. This will raise your dog’s blood pressure to dangerous levels resulting in death if eaten enough over long periods.
What’s in liquorice that is toxic to dogs?
- Xylitol (found in sugar-free liquorice)
Xylitol an alternative to sugar
Sugar-free back liquorice means that the sugar is replaced with another ingredient. It is commonly replaced with a much worse component called Xylitol. Xylitol is very harmful to dogs, and just a small amount can kill your dog. It would be best if you never gave your dog anything sugar-free because all it means is that it’s been replaced with an artificial ingredient.
Toxicity symptoms in dogs that have eaten liquorice
If your dog has eaten a large amount of liquorice, then dont wait for the symptoms to show. Take your dog to a vet as soon as you can. If your dog has just had just a few pieces and depending on the size of your dog, watch out for the below symptoms, and if they gradually get worse, then a call/visit to the vets would be a good idea.
- Hyper activeness
- Raised blood pressure
- Muscle weakness
- Change in character
Avoid giving liquorice to any dogs. Please be warned that it’s especially harmful to pregnant dogs, nursing dogs, dogs with liver or kidney disease, cardiovascular disease, and dogs with diabetes.
Where does liquorice come from?
Liquorice is from a plant called Glycyrrhiza glabra. It’s a flowering plant of the bean type plant called Fabaceae. It’s native to Western Asia and Southern Europe. Liquorice is made from extracting the molecule of the glycyrrhetinic acid and the glucuronic acid, also known as GZA.
Can dogs eat Twizzlers?
No dogs must not eat Twizzlers; they contain many harmful ingredients to your dog’s health, such as salt, sugar, corn syrup. Therefore, your dog will not benefit from eating Twizzlers and can lead to health problems.
I hope your reading this has put you off giving liquorice to your beloved dog, or if your googling for a friend, let them know now. Enjoy your liquorice yourself, and do not share with your dog. The complications that can happen when you give your dog liquorice is undoubtedly not worth it. I hope that I have helped with your decision and answered your question.
Related article about food and dogs
About the Author
Teresa has been a pet lover since she was little. She currently lives with two dogs and two cats, and a hamster. Teresa is a qualified dog groomer and canine behaviourist; these days, she spends her time studying canine nutrition. Teresa is the founder of the Dog Friendly Scene and loves sharing her knowledge on pets.